Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Its finally over!

Yes! Oral presentation is finally over!!! I must say that I really have great team mates, Shawn and Mark who make this project an enjoyable one. Each of us has a different forte and contribute to the group in our strongest area. Shawn has the language ability, Mark has strong computer knowledge while I contribute my ideas.

Chinese have this saying " one minute on stage, ten years off-stage". It was indeed a long preparation for this 20minutes of oral presentation. Before the presentation, we had to prepare our script, practice our script, come out with presentation slides, meetings and so on... We had to practice our oral presentation together to ensure we do not exceed our time limit and smooth transition from one presenter to the next. In addition, we also fine tuned our slides and spot mistakes on each other's slides during the meeting. During the last preparation session, we even had to burn our whole Sunday away! We are each other's audience and asked each other questions regarding our presentation. True enough, those questions are also the questions our classmates asked. We also recorded our own presentation during our mock presentation and looked at our verbal and non verbal cues. It is an excellent method review our own presentation and correct any mistakes. Some mistakes I made during our mock presentation includes looking at my script most of the time, having little eye contact with "audience" and placing slides in the wrong order.

During the "big" day, I tried to correct previous mistakes by knowing my slides and script inside out. I had cue cards only for certain points which I cannot remember so that I ensure eye contact with the audience on the presentation day. Some improvements that I made include being loud, increase in eye contact, appropriate gesture (the part on "sedikit, sedikit, lama lama jadi BUKIT", the whole class laughed. I believe it is due to my gesture which captured their attention). Nevertheless, I noticed quite a number of mistakes I made during the presentation. I remain rooted in one position, slouched, blanked out the slides accidentally (even though I tried to control the wireless presenter). During the Q&A session, I failed to rephrase Aoyun's question, used a taboo phrase "As I mentioned earlier......" and eye contact in the direction of the person who asked question.

I must also say that I am very proud of our slides. The background used was fitted to our theme of recycling. On every slide, 6x7 rule was strictly adhered to. The animation used was also appropriate. I like my slide on "sedikit, sedikit, lama lama jadi BUKIT" and the slide on "proposed scheme for IUT" the most :)

I was more prepared for this presentation compared to our peer teaching. It might be because we have done up with the proposal, hence had better grasp on our content. Since this project was a topic we have chosen, I had greater interest in the topic presented compared to peer teaching topic. The use of slides was also more efficient as it was less wordy and with appropriate pictures to capture attention and better elaborate on certain points. From the preparation to the delivery of my presentation, overall I think there is an improvement compared to peer teaching session.
I LOVE TEAM GREEN!!


7 comments:

  1. Hi Lisu!
    I really like the slides background. It gives a clean and uncluttered feel and very professional as well!

    I like the way you have certain gestures to bring about certain points. Especially the part on 'sedikit, sedikit, lama lama jadi BUKIT'! Haha it was rather memorable and effectively bring out the point of how the accumulation of little efforts can bring about a change! I also agree that you were more prepared as compared to peer teaching:)

    Great job!

    Cheers,
    Xiu Qin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisu,

    Firstly, I would like to congratulate you for a good presentation. I believe your team has done a great job.

    Personally, I was very fascinated by your team's choice of topic. Its so relevant to Singapore. It is very difficult to find problems in the pretty-perfect-land-of-Singapore. However, you guys really gave a good thought and chose an interesting topic.

    As for your presentation, the best part about you in the 30 mins was the Q&A session I believe. Your answers in the Q&A session were almost perfect. Very relevant and accurate. And you seemed quite confident too, as compared to your presentation time, when your nervousness was a bit visible. I think the time when the class laughed, that proved to be a good ice-breaker and you did not seem nervous at all following that.

    Overall, I was quite interested in your presentation. I believe you were able to grab the audience's attention pretty well. The slides were also very influential in bringing your points across.

    Well done.

    Regards,
    Akash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Xiu Qin and Akash for your comments!

    Xiu Qin,
    I hope the class laughed because of something positive, not because it looked hilarious. Hahaha

    Akash,
    Thanks for the very positive feedback! Glad that you find our idea good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello lisu!:)

    Great job on the presentation! Well done!:) I am really impressed by Team Green's presentation and I felt that the topic chosen was very interesting and fresh! I could see that you are well prepared for the presentation, however I feel that it would be even better if you increase your pace of your presentation slightly faster abit :)

    You were super cute when you gesture "sedikit, sedikit, lama lama jadi BUKIT"! That definitely capture the audience attention heehee :)

    Cheers,
    ting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello LiSu :D
    Yup, we had a nice presentation. I also agreed with Hui Ting that u can increase the pace a bit at the start but u seems to pick up speed later :D.

    I didn't observe much otherwise, because it was my turn next :P but yes, you did a good job :) the laughter from the audience also make it a unique presentation, which was crucial :)

    Glad that I had u guys to give comments on the slides :P Otherwise I couldn't finished it and go back to prepare my speech already. If you and Shawn didn't say that it was nice already, I 'd have work on it forever :( (a very bad habit of mine >.< ).

    Anyway, I'm glad that we did our best out there :D

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was more prepared for this presentation compared to our peer teaching. It might be because we have done up with the proposal, hence had better grasp on our content.

    *excuses* :P Good job on your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huiting & Mark,

    Thanks for your comments, will try to improve the speed of my talking next time :)

    Desmond,
    THanks for your comments. I take that as a compliment. Good luck for your exams.

    ReplyDelete