Sunday, February 20, 2011

Interpersonal Conflict - Customer Service

Conflicts are inevitable. It can occurs when the values, perception or opinions of individuals are contradictory and agreement has not been met.


Customer service I must say is really not an easy job. However, it is worse when you have colleagues that are not understanding. 5 years ago, after ‘O’ levels, I held a holiday job as a waitress serving banquets at hotel xxx. Every event was a tiring one, however, it is a bonus if you get to work with colleague which you can get along with. I still remember vividly on Christmas eve, I was scheduled for work. Like everyone else, I was quite reluctant to work on a Christmas eve, nevertheless because the manager plead for help so I reluctantly went to work.

On that night I was made to serve 2 tables because of the lack of waiter and waitresses on that day. Service was slow because it was made worse that halal customers had to be serve separately which resulted in 4 trips to serve 1 course instead of 2 trips for  1 course. I had informed my manager that I might not be able to cope but they did not take any action about it. Thereafter, customers complained and my in-charge scolded me for the bad service. I knew I am on the verge of crying so I tried to smile, explaining my situation at the same time. However, my in-charged thought that I was not serious so he told me in my face in front of my other colleagues ‘Can you please stop joking around, I am very serious.’ Well, I was very serious too! In actual fact I had already told my manage about not being able to cope but no actions were done! Not being able to control my tears anymore, I cried and threw all my jobs aside and told my manager that I am going off, not going to go back to work as a waitress ever again. My manager was very understanding and allowed me to go off. I got to know from other colleagues that my in-charge was scolding me behind my back for being irresponsible. Of course, I never stepped back to that hotel as a waitress.

I do not feel that I am being irresponsible. Have you seen anyone serving with a crying face? If I can turn the clock back, I guess I would try even harder to control my tears. What would you do if you were me?

6 comments:

  1. Lisu,

    I waited at Orchard Hotel before too, and my it was really a tough job, for a meager pay. Therefore I really feel for you.

    Managers often have to scold us in order to show the guest that they are doing their job, but most of the time they are over-doing it.

    Take it as a good growing-up experience, it;s one of the lowest job that we can ever engage ourselves in, and if you have experienced it, nothing else can beat you down.

    I've even spilt red wine on the guest and got my pay docked!

    Nicholas Chai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisu,
    Working as a banquet assistant is definitely a worthy experience. From your story, I don't think you did anything irresponsible since you were given too much work to do.
    I once served a table with 12 persons in a Chinese wedding and before every course, I need to divide food to side plates and transfer to guests. It was very tiring when the wedding was crowd. I still remember there was no free space to bring the food to the table, so I had to ask a guest to stand up. Besides, not all of the banquet managers in hotel are empathy and generous to me.
    Take it as a life lesson. You definitely grew up from such experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisu,

    Customer service is not an easy job as I have also experience cases of inconsiderate colleagues as well as difficult customers.

    Personally, if I were you, I would have definitely lashed out at my in-charge, not just for failing to respond to my call for help, but also for the needless scolding in the presence of other colleagues. I believe that even if the reprimand is necessary, it should be done behind closed doors.

    In your case however, I wouldn't say your action in leaving as being irresponsible. Of course, the right thing to do is to persevere and wait until the event is over, but there's always a limit to patience and I believe that you have reach yours. So its not your fault for doing so and anyway, you have done your part in requesting for help which should have not been ignored in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicholas, Dan, Fahmi!

    Thanks for your comments! :)

    Nicholas:
    Yes! I don't understand why the managers must scold after every single session. Sometimes compliment makes a difference. And yes, it was really quite an experience. After you have been through that you would work harder and make sure you will do better than them. I split red wine once on my customer too! Luckily my customer was quite understanding.

    Dan:
    Yes, it is definitely quite an experience. You and Nicholas too worked in banquet before! Tiring job right! But I must say the job of the girls are already much better though it is still tough.

    Fahmi:
    You expressed what I felt! Reprimand should be behind closed door and what's more I had already informed the manager so I should say it is not my fault.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, LiSu

    I think I may take a different position as you, If I were in your situation. Of course I would be very angry too, though I am not a person easily showing anger. But I wouldn't just go off the hotel like you.

    It's unfair! how can I be responsible for something I have no control? The person in charge must apologize to me. Leaving the embarrassing scene is easy but it also means you acknowledged the unfairness you've received.

    I won't compromise with such situation and I will argue with him for my self-respect. Physically, we are the employee, but this does not imply we are the employee spiritually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chen Chen,

    Thanks for your comments. Yes I guess from what I learnt through that job is that I need to be more firm and strong so that I would not get bullied. Would definitely like to learn how to stand up for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete